Removal Company Tips - Some moving tips on how to take the stress out of your Move
Moving Home is considered one of the most stressful and disorientating happenings that can skyrocket blood pressure and mental well being. Unfortunately the less organised you are then the more dramatic the effect on your general well being. There are many contributing reasons for this including the memories and emotional attachment that we have developed over a period of time. There is not much that we can do about healing those factors but there is a lot we can do to help reduce the chaos leading up to your home relocation , the relocation itself and the unravelling of your life into your new home.
Below we tackle some basics but there is a lot more that your local moving company can do to advise and help you to take as much stress as possible out your Local Western Cape Removal Company or Long Distance Moving Company requirements.
Please also Refer to our Top 10 Moving Tips published by Cape Town Magazine
Moving Tips on how we can take the Stress out of your furniture removals. Cape Removals offer advise on How Far in Advance Should I Book My Move? How much notice does a moving company need? What if I am moving long-distance? How do I get the best deal on my move?
Moving can be a stressful time. There is a lot to get organized before the actual moving day that can all become rather daunting. Booking your moving company is one of the most important things you need to do before you move to ensure that you have someone to help you relocate your home and personal belongings from one destination to another. In this article, we look at at critical factors and details that we don’t always think about but which can save us a lot of time and stress if we are proactive them . At the end of the day we want to help you take as much stress out your furniture removal as possible.
Checklist Before you Choose your moving company
Before you do anything, you need to decide on a plan for your move. Although a moving company is one of the most important parts of your relocation and you should hire one as soon as possible, You will need to ensure that you have a date in order to plan for the move and all the other peripheral services that you might need like cleaning, coordinating a relocation date with your destination property, WiFi and so much more detail.
If possible, it is best to start organizing your move at least a month in advance, however, the earlier you can start the better.
Before hiring your moving company think about the following:
- When the best time to move is
- When new jobs, schools, or anything that is tying you to that place will need you to be there physically
- When movers will be available to assist you with your move
Once you have thought about this start researching removal companies and obtaining quotes. This is how you will find out how much your move will cost.
Basic Guideline for your Furniture removal - Moving Tips -
Your Starting Point is to find a Removal Company That will also help you – Not just move you
Moving can be a stressful time for anybody, however, you can defuse much of your stress by being proactive and doing a few things before moving day.
Here are our top tips to get you on your way to a smooth, stress-free relocation:
- Isolate your moving date and book your removal company about a month before the allocated date. Try and take a day off on either side of your moving date.
- Securing your removal date will help you coordinate all your utility services to notify them of your new address. DSTV, telephones, etc in order to disconnect and connect at your new address
- Decide what packaging materials you require and if you require Cape Furniture Removals to do your packing.
- Let Cape Furniture Removals take the risk out of your removal: Decide if you would like Cape Removals to wrap your leather couches, paintings, mirrors,
- Pack and label your boxes sensibly: If you are doing your packing yourself, be sure to pack your boxes carefully with the appropriate materials, e.g. bubble wrap, to minimize breakages. Also, pack the boxes compactly without making the boxes too heavy. Packing Loose goods that move around is not Safe!
- Label your boxes according to room and contents
- Use colour coded labels that will represent the room colour at your destination home
- Phone your household insurance broker and notify them of your move. Most insurance policies will cover your insurance for removals provided you notify them before the time. Please note that insurance might not cover the contents of your boxes that you have packed. Cape Removals also provide insurance and can have the contents covered and packed separately should your policy not cover this.
- Turn off your freezer the night before the move and ensure that it is cleared before the removal company gets there. The bulky kitchen appliances are normally 1st to be packed into the truck
- Make sure your fridges are emptied and ensure the shelves secured or taken our,
- Doors and Drawers: Ensure that all drawers and cupboards are emptied and ensure that the doors are locked or securely taped closed. W Machine, Cupboards, and all other appliance doors so that they don’t fly open. Ensure that all shelving is taken out of your fridge and cupboards.
- Pack an overnight bag as if you are spending a night at a hotel, toiletries, change of clothing etc. Unpacking doesn’t have to be done the same day or night. Unpack slowly but surely – this helps keep stress and anxiety levels down. moving can be a tiring experience
- Prepare a Sundries Box – Isolate and mark a box with kettles, toasters, plates, cutlery, mugs, coffee etc. You will need an early tea break to gather your thoughts and tackle the unpacking when all your goods have been moved to the other side.
- Bedding Boxes need to be clearly marked and we advise that you use the soft bedding , towels and pillows to pack with the more fragile crockery. This help reduce the weight and stress of the box (Check out How to Pack a Box)
- Organise and book Cleaners to clean your old home according to a checklist to ensure your the new tenants are moving into clean residence or offices. This takes out much of your stress of going back and forth worrying about unpacking as well as taking care of a cleaning process that never seems to end.
- Organise to repair the holes from the paintings
- Coordinate & ensure keys are collected and that there are no delays for Cape Removals when they move your furniture into your new residence.
- Moving can be very disorientating – Ensure that you lock and pack away all your important personal documents, passports, watches, jewelry, etc into a place that is safe and which you will remember. There is enough to think about to minimise the detail.
Ask your Dedicated Moving Consultant!
Packaging Materials That You Might Need:
- Sturdy boxes of varying sizes
- A notebook
- Packaging tape
- A thick, black felt- tip marker
- Bubble wrap
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Large self-adhesive labels – Colour Coded if possible
- Fragile stickers
- Utility knife
- Packing Paper
Contact your Cape Furniture removal consultant – They will be happy to advise and help
Do your research on the moving company that you would like to choose
- Do your research: Research moving companies in your area and read reviews from previous customers. Look for companies that have positive reviews, a good track record, and are licensed and insured.
- Get referrals: Ask friends, family, or colleagues for recommendations on reputable moving companies they have used in the past.
- Ask about services: Ask about the services provided by the moving company, such as packing, storage, and transportation. Ensure that the moving company can accommodate your specific needs.
- Inquire about insurance: Ask about the insurance options provided by the moving company. It is important to ensure that your belongings are covered in the event of damage or loss during the move.
- Schedule in advance: Schedule your move in advance to ensure that the moving company is available on your preferred date and time.
- Label your boxes: Label your boxes clearly with the contents and the room they belong in. This will make unpacking easier and ensure that items are not misplaced during the move.
- Declutter: Take the opportunity to declutter your home before the move. Donate or sell items that you no longer need to make the move easier and more efficient.
- Stay organized: Keep important documents, such as contracts, insurance policies, and receipts, in a safe and organized place. This will make it easier to access them during and after the move.
- Communicate with your movers: Stay in communication with the moving company throughout the move to ensure that everything goes smoothly. If any issues arise, address them as soon as possible to prevent further complications.
How Much Notice Does A Moving Company Need?
Ideally, you should give your removal company 4 to 6 weeks’ notice in order for them to book you in with ease and get everything prepared. If you are booking within peak moving times it is better to give even more notice if possible, as they might be fully booked during that time, should you leave it too late.
If you are moving last minute, try to give your movers at least 10 days’ notice, as mentioned above this will give them time to get prepared for it. Last-minute bookings might cost more than if you gave them more notice.
What If I Am Moving Long-distance?
Long-distance moves often take a lot more planning than if you are moving locally. If you are choosing to use a Share Load Removal Service, then you need to be prepared to hand over your things most likely before you move. This takes a lot more planning on the removal companies’ part as well. Not all removal companies will offer long-distance removal, so your options will be limited and therefore there is more of a chance that they will be booked up. Make sure you are giving your removal company as much notice as possible for this move.
How Do I Get The Best Deal On My Move?
The first thing you should do is go online and do your research on what different removal companies’ prices are. However, some factors will make your move cheaper no matter which company you go with. Winter is not the most popular time to move in South Africa, making it an easier time for removal companies. Try to avoid moving in December and January if possible. A popular time of the month to move is towards the end, which is when most completions take place. If you can avoid this time of the month as well then you are likely to find that removal companies are cheaper.
To conclude, how far in advance should you book movers? Between a month to three months will be enough time for most moves, however, the sooner you can book it in the better. It all depends on when and where you are moving to and what removal companies are available.